Tuesday, September 18, 2012

In Class Essay #1: The Classic iPod


The Classic iPod
 
   There was a time when the iPod Classic was a big hit. These days, most people use the iPod touch, some people use the iPod Nano, and rarely do people use the iPod Classic. In contrast, 6 years ago, when not many students owned the iPod Nano,the iPod Cassic surely meant luxury. Like most students, I dreamt of having one too.
   At that time, I spent my fifth grade in Canada, in a Korean dormitory where everyone was older than me. I have always had trouble getting along with seniors, and the years I spent in Canada were no exception. Not only socially inactive but also physically passive, I had suffered from obesity. It is common sese in the perspective of a senior to dislike a kid who is fat and not extremely nice towards him or her. I was the lonely-and-intimidated-fat-kid of the dormitory.
   Everyone in the dormitory had to call their parents once a week mandatorily. On the phone, I would nearly cry and whine about how I had no friends around me. I actually felt like I was being bullied. Being informed about the difficulties I had been facing abroad, my parents were keen to help and support me in all ways.
   One day, I received a special parcel from my parents. I could not believe my eyes when I opened the box. A white iPod Classic 32GB in a white silicon case. For about a week afterwards, everyone in the dormitory envied me and they seemed to have interest in me. I thought I was finally socializing with them after spending so many lonely days. However, after everyone had satisfied their curiosity with the device,
   Nonetheless, I was not as lonely as I used to be because I had my new electronic best friend, the iPod. I literally kept in touch with it wherever I went. Whether I was shopping, on my way to school, or even simply resting in my room, earphones were plugged into my ears and the straps were around my neck. I kept the iPod on and playing for the rest of the time in Canada.
   After 8 months, I returned to Korea. While attending school, since all my classmates were as old as I was, I was able to get along fine and make many friends. Also, I had lost some weight in Canada due to the extreme stress of being alone, so I was not as obese as I used to be. I had real human friends around me all the time and consequently, the electronic best friend who used to be a part of me was fading from my memory.
   Roughly a month or two after I returned from Canada, the new iPod tough was released. The iPod I had was no longer the trend, so I was quite asahamed to carry the outdated MP3 player. It became lost in my messy room, and its existence was completely deleted from my memory until two weeks ago.
   I was cleaning up my room to move out of the house I used to live, and I found the iPod under a stack of books. Feeling sorry, I tried to turn it on,but since it had been out of human touch for nearly 5 years, it must have been rusted internally. It no longer works. Although late, I really miss the classic tunes that I used to listen with my iPod.

1 comment:

  1. No picture? This essay is PERFECT for a pic. Also you have neglected to deactivate comment verifications, so from now on I will be leaving fewer comments. This was said in class many times.

    ReplyDelete